[ale] Re:Can't boot after compiling Kernel

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Feb 24 13:37:25 EST 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 09:46 am, Rafos701 at aol.com wrote:
> In order to use my supported winmodem modules, I need something other
> than the 2.4.18 kernel in my SuSE 7.1 distro. I do make xconfig, make
> clean, make dep, (Will check .bashistory, or whatever it is, to make
> sure I did make dep.)
>
>     I move bzImage to /boot, run lilo with correct root, but bzImage
> panics, and I assume it doesn't have reiserfs module loaded. I can't
> keep up with the scrolling to see what's up, and can't do dmesg unless I
> am somewhere. The /lib/modules shows stuff for 2.4.2, which I'm fairly
> certain is what I compiled.

First, switching to grub instead of lilo would make you life easier.  You
don't have to rerun grub after every build, and if you screw up the config
file you can probably still boot without an emergency floppy/CD.

Second, you should be able to scrool the messages back with shift-pageUP.

Third, did you compile into the kernel everything you need, or did you make
them as modules?  If something like reiserfs is needed to boot, say
because it is the fs-type of your root fs, then you either need it in the
kernel, or you need to mkinitrd before you reboot.  The initrd is loaded
before the kernel really starts executing.

Michael