[ale] gnome-terminal memory leak....looking for verification...

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Fri Feb 21 10:35:42 EST 2003

Guys,

Running Red Hat 8.0, I can start gnome-terminal and everything seems
fine.  However, if I run top in gnome-terminal and let it sit, I watch
the process slowing consume memory.  It will continue to do this as far
as I can tell.  I've let it get up to 180 MB before killing it.

Can anyone who's running Red Hat 8 verify this?  I'm assuming it has
something to do with the way top redraws the screen.  However, I've only
been able to duplicate it at home once, so there has to be a specific set
of things happening that I haven't nailed down.

Try it by opening gnome-terminal, and then running "top -d 1".  See if the
gnome-terminal process grows consistently.

If I were interested in debugging this, what's the best way to go about
it?  Trying to attach with gdb to see what it's doing (although I assume
it wasn't compiled with debugging symbols)?

Also, anyone know if this is a known bug?  I'm planning on submitting
it, but want to make sure it's not something I missed a patch on
(although I doubt it, because I use rhn).

Thanks,

John