[ale] MySQL sync

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Fri Feb 21 10:20:16 EST 2003

> One note about inserting records into the slave is
> if you have an auto-increment field and create a
> record
> with let's say "302", and the master then sends over
> its newly created "302", replication will break.

There was some discussion about this last year at OSCon with the MySQL AB
folks, and the suggested solution was to add a column "serverid" that
defaults to different values for each machine, that way when you insert it
doesn't conflict.

Actually, thinking about it, I think that may have been more for keying
not pure auto-incrementing ... maybe that was what they were talking about
adding support in for.

It's been a while, and at the time I didn't think I cared (I've since
determined that I care deeply and started looking into it again :o)

--attriel