[ale] OT: Woah, retro!

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Feb 18 21:38:27 EST 2003

I've one of those Timex/Sinclairs w/ 2k addon module around here some
where. Dunno if it still works, but if not, I suppose I can let the p/s
go (except I'm way north of the Mason-Dixon line so I can't just 'drop
it off'. ;). I also have three Radio Shack/Tandy CoCo IIs with 16-64 kb
mem on those, RS-DOS and BASIC, and two 320kb<?> ext floppy drives. And
a rippin' 300 baud modem for them, too! (Dunno how my wife tolerates me
keeping that stuff?) I've recently read that some ppl are still
actually using those CoCos to surf the web with text-based browsers, as
well as using them for dumb terms with their PCs. And of course, they
play Zaxxon, which I always thought was a cool game. But then, I
thought Pong way back when was pretty cool, too, and then when Pac Man
came along... wowser!! ;)

> My parents just retrieved their furniture from long-term storage.  In
it
> they found my Tandy 1000SX!  2 5.25" floppy drives and 640K of RAM!!
> Granted, it isn't as cool your stuff...but I wonder if I can get Linux
> to run on that old 8088?
>
> :)
>
> Jonathan
>
> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 19:40, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > During a spouse unit mandated cleaning, I was required to get rid
of my
> > TI 99-4A card programmable calculator with the add on memory module
and
> > thermal printer unit and several plug-in program packs including
> > statistics, statics and fluid flow engineering. Her excuse to have
me
> > get rid of the lot was that the battery pack was dead and the
charger
> > wouldn't run it any more.
> >
> > sigh
> >

> > On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 13:43, Joe wrote:
> > > I got a package in the mail from my grandma today, containing
assorted
> > > junk of mine that she found floating around the house. It
contained
> > > the following items, among others, which I mention purely for the
joy
> > > of having them back in my posession:
> > >
> > > - My Dad's Texas Instruments SR-50 scientific calculator, c.
1975. No
> > > battery pack, no adapter, no manual. This machine was the central
> > > computing engine at Dad's land-surveying business for about five
> > > years in the 70's.
> > >
> > > - My Timex/Sinclair 1000, c. 1982, Z80A, 1K RAM. With manual (!),
but
> > > no power supply, alas. Anybody got a dead one with a working power
> > > supply they'd be willing to part with? I'd love to see if this
thing
> > > still boots. Hmm, maybe I can pick up a workable P/S at Radio
Snack...

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>