[ale] Composing HTML/text mail in Evolution or Mozilla

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 18 14:12:53 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:58:22PM -0500, Fulton Green wrote:
> Hi, not having either app in front of me at the moment ...
>
> I think both Evo and Moz's mail composers can send out an HTML-composed
> message in both that format and a plain-text version readable for the
> text-only MUAs such as Pine or Mutt.  And I believe it sends out the
> message with an overall MIME type of "multipart/alternative".

Just tried this with Evo 1.0.5, and you are correct on both counts.

> My question: is it possible within these apps to edit, before hitting the
> "Send" button, the "plain text" part that the composer gleans from the
> original HTML message?  In other words, can I fine-tune the text-only part
> before sending?

Not that I'm aware of.  In evolution, the composer looks the same
whether you're using html or not, except some items are disabled when
sending text-only.  There's no way I can see to distinguish between the
text-only part and the html part.

Having said that, the test message I just sent to myself is the first
time I've ever intentionally used html in an email before, so I could
easily be missing something :-)

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9