[ale] that same darn NFS problem

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sun Feb 16 11:18:17 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> 1.I removed the 2 nic cards from the server, and undid all that was did to get
> them to work.
>
> 2. I tried to configure NFS to work. I am successful, BUT clients can not
> write to files. When I open vi and try to edit a file, it says "write error
> in swap file" and when I try to save it says "is your filesystem full?"
>
> 3. clients can touch and rm files. It seems as though the owner is "nobody."
> BUT, that only happens when I am root on the client. When I am the user, that
> problem the owner is listed correctly.
> Also, when I opened a file and tried to exit the file became 0 bytes.

This is how NFS works. By default, uid 0 on the client side is
transparently remapped to have the privileges of uid 65534 on the
server. It provides a semblance of protection for the server against
rogue NFS clients....

Add the option no_root_squash on the server side in the exports to
override this....

later,
chris