[ale] null.null.host oddity

Brian brianb_ale at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 23:20:34 EST 2003

I ran across an odd thing that's trigerring my
paranoia meter to its peak. I started seeing my
machine and other machines on the lan identified as
host1(??)-null.null.bellsouth.net.

ie. host13-null.null.bellsouth.net (192.168.1.20) //
private ip ...

Why am I seeing a bellsouth.net (on a private ip!)
domain while I'm not even with them. I'm with
speedfactory. I can't even see such entries on my
hosts files, etc.. in my machines.

I noticed it a couple of times today but can't figure
out any reason. I noticed it in an ssh login to
another local machine and in a console on my
workstation.

=====
"Engineers aren't boring people; we just get excited over boring things."