[ale] IPv6

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Feb 14 11:49:40 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Anyone using IPv6 yet?  I'm poking at it for work and decided to install
> it at home as well.  So far it looks good.  Only gotcha I've got so far
> is "lynx localhost" on my webserver hangs up, likely a misconfiguration
> on my part, but also "lynx ::1" and "lynx http://:1" both kinda blow
> chunks..

I'm using it (native at work, 6to4 at home). The biggest problem we had
was finding a provider which could do native IPv6 out here (I'm in Salt
Lake). We finally wound up switching carriers to get it....

Other than that, you will find that some software doesn't yet work with
it w/o patches. Postfix, for example, does not ship with IPv6 support,
though patches are available.... Overall, though, most stuff Just
Works.

Also, remember to update your packet filters for IPv6 -- your current
v4 rules will be completely bypassed.

later,
chris

PS: Anyone interested in playing with it at home should definitely
check out <http://ipv6tb.he.net/> and
<http://www.bieringer.de/linux/IPv6/index.html>. You will have to have
a routable (non RFC 1918) IP address on the box you use as your IPv6
gateway. You'll also have to be careful about what equipment you use --
most of the el-cheapo Linksys / Netgear / etc. home gateway boxes do
not support IPv6....