[ale] Checkinstall instead of just tar.gz

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 11 14:39:28 EST 2003

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 09:27 am, Dow Hurst wrote:
> Someone on another list mentioned using checkinstall to make an entry in
> the rpm database for tgz packages when installing.  Has anyone used this
> and have thoughts?  Does it work well?

I use it all the time. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't seem to
replace packages that weren't installed by the same method. So, if you're
using a .tgz package to replace something installed by rpm, it may just
install them side by side. Otherwise, it works really well. It leaves you
with an rpm at the end of the process and you can keep it around if you like.
If you go to remove something that you installed with it, you have all of the
simplicity of rpm.