[ale] SCSI tape problem

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Feb 9 11:30:06 EST 2003

If you do 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' , you will get a list of known scsi
devices on your system. /dev/st is often a symlink to the actual device.
It can also be an environment variable. The actual device is stx or
nstx, where x is a number starting at 0. nst0 is the first non-rewinding
scsi tape device and st0 is the first rewinding version. They are both
the same physical device.

To use the the device at a low level, us the "mt" commands. man mt will
tell you what to do.

You can make a symlink in /dev/ as you want. I find the nst device to be
more useful for my stuff than the st version. If you use the st version,
the tape drive will write from the fist command, then rewind the tap and
write the next command. So the second tar cv bar/ command will overwrite
the first tar cv foo/ . This is usually a problem.

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 02:33, Jim Seymour wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	Styill trying to get my Seagate STT8000N scsi tape drive working under
> Red Hat 7.3.  It is connected to an Adaptec 2940UW card that is
> operating correctly when booted to OS/2.  The hardware browser says it
> is using device /dev/st.  That device does not exist in the /dev
> directory.  Is it possible the system did not build the character or
> block device for it?  Attached is part of the output from cat
> /proc/modules.  I have not been able to find an answer to this
> anywhere.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> st                     29428   0 (unused)
> hpfs                   70528   3 (autoclean)
> ext3                   65696   2
> jbd                    46252   2 [ext3]
> dc395x_trm             52800   0
> aic7xxx               126112   7
> sd_mod                 12284  12
> scsi_mod              103348   6 [sg sr_mod st dc395x_trm aic7xxx
> sd_mod]
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part