[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 4 23:06:57 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 22:55, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 22:23, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Like I said, I know it's no walk in the park and I know no two are the
> same.  *THAT* cement may well be unapplyable in space, but recall that
> solutions were found to problems like rotating shaft lubrication and
> photographic film.

Unfortunately, the chemistry of the tiles dictates certain bonding
chemistry. Good old reliable "shoe goo" and super glue won't cut it :)

> I'm not suggesting a bailout at hypersonic speed but emergency landings
> may have been called for (well, perhaps turning into a conventional
> bailout in the end if it looked like there was just no solution to get
> to a suitable strip).

But with this incident, it was way supersonic and so a bailout was not
possible. Hitting the air at Mach 18 would tend to peel humans apart.

Ick. A very unpleasant image.