[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 4 23:02:55 EST 2003

I think it boils down to matter of practicality. There is no point in
doing an EVA to the belly side as there "are no user serviceable parts".
Every pound of mass they take up cost 20 pounds in fuel. If there is
nothing to be gained by lugging a 250 pound EVA suit, that means another
ton of explosives that can be left behind, or actually another 250
pounds of something more useful to be carried.

What is needed is another way to get to space, not a fix to the problems
of the shuttle. NASA knows they are old and don't suit the need. But we
have lacked the political will to take on the daunting task of designing
and building something better. I have watched with dismay now as two
separate BIG projects have been scrapped in order to better perfect ways
of killing other humans has taken precedence, the new space plan, and
the SSC (Superconducting Super Collider in Texas (now a mushroom farm)).