[ale] Bad business (digressing to OT)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Feb 1 08:02:16 EST 2003

Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>I agree with Jonathan.  This is the direction I hope to head, once my
>>time with AT&T is done (26+ years now, I'm counting them down).  I'm not
>>a Bob Toxen or a Jonathan Rickman, but I'm working on it. :)
>

> I'm not a Bob Toxen either. He's like, 100 years old or something like
> that. :)

Hmmm, I don't know how old Bob is, but he does not appear (to me) to be
older then I. (46)  Although most folks tell me I don't look my age.  Or
was it that I don't act my age?  Whatever, seems the memory is...

> 26+ years? Damn, I'm only 29. Maybe you should stop working on being a
> Jonathan and I should start working on being a Geoffrey...or a Bob, but
> I'm a smoker, so I may not make it to "Bobdom".

Nor Geoffreydom (??) as I'm allergic to cigerette smoke.  Most
definitely please give up the weed, it will kill you and great minds
will be needed in the future.  My father quite at 54, died at 63 of a
massive heart attack, attributed to his 30 years of Camels.  My
mother-in-law quite about 3 years ago, at the bequest of my daughter (8
at the time, no one else could convince her).  She's not gone back, so
you can do it.  (You know any 8 year olds who will tell you to quite so
you can see them graduate from college?  They've got to have those tears
in their eyes to really get the full effect)

As for 'working to being a Geoffrey' I'm not sure what your goal would
be?  The times of folks seeing 20+ years with one company are gone.  I'm
one of the few left.  The only way I did it was to keep moving and keep
learning.  I started out with AT&T (Western Electric at the time)
driving a fork truck, so I've not been 'in the business' that whole
time.  Working for a large company like AT&T has been like working for
5-6 small companies though.  I digress....

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...