[ale] Current Red Hat users - moving on?

Christopher Gilbert chris_gilbert at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 9 10:54:55 EST 2003

I used to sync and emerge every week after reading about all the updated
packages in the weekly gentoo newsletter. But they killed that section
in favor of the new packages.gentoo.org site. The packages site now has
info on daily changes to ebuilds.  I usually sync and emerge every other
week before I go to bed and review the log when I wake-up.

Gentoo's Portage system however is no guaranty security updates have
been patched.  They were fast on the resent rsync exploit but I had a
network card who's driver needed a one line patch to fix a buffer
overflow. Gentoo decide this need to be fixed upstream with maintainer
of the driver. Debian and Red Hat both had new .deb and .rpms by the
next day.

chris-marlin