[ale] IT department

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 28 21:01:54 EDT 2003

Look at www.compiere.org. A ERP/CRM system is getting to be a crucial
chunk of IT needs for even the small guys. This app does everything
including clean the sink, make coffee, and accounting. Right now it
requires Oracle as a backend database. PostgreSQL is in the works, but
has stalled on some technical (very!) issues that need some $$time$$ for
a developer to resolve (some PostgreSQL and some Compiere).

Just keep in mind the main thing you are doing is to make sure they can
access their data from any where, when ever they need it from any
platform, even not one they own.

Sound fun so far?!

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 20:35, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Thursday 28 August 2003 08:12, George Johnson wrote:
> > Actually, these guys are working out of their houses for now. There are
> > 3 of them but they have bagged some large accounts like USLec that love
> > them.  They come into an account and are acting as a go between for
> > negotiating on maintenance contracts for equipment like SUN, HP, Cisco
> > and the like.  They provide other services on the side and save the
> > customer a large amount of $$ in the process.  They do it using the
> > actual OEM's.  They also repair printers and sell hardware, usually much
> > cheaper than the likes of SUN or Cisco (their best priced hardware).  So
> > I am going to need to setup a db along with the rest.
> >
> > This is going to be interesting and hard work.  I hope I am up to the
> > challenge.
>
> If they are truly set up as a tech consulting firm, you've got it made. In
> most technology consulting firms, particularly smaller ones, the company IS
> the IT department. If you have good written policies in place and everyone
> adheres to them, you can shed the IT Director ball and chain to free up
> time to get out and generate revenue for the company. It doesn't get any
> better than that.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part