[ale] Most Secure SSH

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Thu Aug 28 20:45:03 EDT 2003

Currently I have firewall.  I have it pretty well tightened down, but I do
have SSH open, as I need to access my system(s) from the office.    I use an
rsa key to access this, though I can access with with just a password.

Now, if I need to get to one of my systems that is behind the firewall, I can
access them using ssh.   Currently, I do not have a things setup so that the
firewall can access internal systems with a rsa key.  I HAVE to use a
password.  I do this, on the assumption that IF (when?) someone hacks the
firewall, it will not be trivial to get to the protected systems.

Is this reasonable? Am I missing something here? ASSUMING I pick good
passwords, is it fair to say that password-based access is more secure than
rsa keys?

David