[ale] Linux Desktop Costs

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Wed Aug 27 13:49:06 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:52, Geoffrey wrote:
> BruceG wrote:
>
> > In looking at costs, though - how can you tell if you are able to
> > install on multiple desktops, or if there is a per seat license.
> > Meaning - if I chose RH, Mandrake or SuSE - can I purchase one boxed
> > set and install on multiple PC's? On SuSE, would that break the YaST2
> > license?

No, but it might break other licenses.

SuSE has some other non-gpl software on their CDs.  I don't use any of
those non-gpl programs so I don't know what license restrictions they
have.

If you want to ensure you are not using any of these non-gpl programs,
then install SuSE from their ftp site.  (Ga Tech maintains a mirror.)

ie. Everything on the ftp site is gpl except yast and as I understand
the yast license it is simply that you can't sell it for profit.  (You
can sell normal gpl programs if you want, the only requirement is that
you make source code available upon request and that you allow
re-distribution.)