[ale] SuSE 8.2, Building a kernel

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 26 23:03:10 EDT 2003

Hey all,

      I'm trying to compile a kernel for SuSE 8.2, and need a few pointers. I
downloaded a clean kernel from www.kernel.org. I took the 2.4.21 kernel
(although 22 is now out - but I've been doing the head against the wall thing
for a while). I did not download patches.

      I extracted the kernel source into /usr/src/linux/2.4.21 - then
symlinked to /usr/src/linux. I did a make menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage,
make modules, make modules_install - and updated grub.

      The boot died, I did not enable reiser support in the kernel. So built
again, this time forgetting FAT (for my Windows partition) - but was able to
boot and get a console. So - rebuilding again, making sure to include reiser,
fat (for Win95), my network card, usbhid support for mouse and joystick, and
BTTV support. I also copied my XF86Config files: 1 for compiled NVidia
support, and one for using the open NV drivers. Will swap XF86Config files
before rebooting.

      I heard about having to do a mkinitrd - how do you do that? And I'm
probably doing this all wrong, any simple pointers to compiling a kernel in
SuSE 8.2 land? And should I use a clean kernel from kernel.org, or grab one
from SuSE? If so, how would I do that?