[ale] Linux Wallpaper and WebShots

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 26 18:29:07 EDT 2003

> From: tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
> Date: 2003/08/26 Tue PM 05:22:41 EDT
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: [ale] Linux Wallpaper and WebShots
>

> I'm shifting my girlfriend from Windows to Linux and am a bit confused.
> She likes having various pictures from WebShots.com for her desktop
> wallpaper (and having them autochange), and WebShots is a Windows only
> organization.
>
> Off the top of their heads, does anybody on this list know how to snag
> pictures from WebShots, what conversion needs to be performed to get a
> linux usable image, and perhaps how to automate the process?? Or is this
> another advanced exercise for the reader (I haven't found a clue in a very
> quick google - so RTFM with a pointer to FM is really a valid effort.)
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> --

You could download the images from Webshots. Go to Gallery, then Featured Collections - and click away. Save the images in a folder. I save mine in /home/bruce/wallpaper

If you are using KDE, then right click anywhere on your desktop. Click on Configure Desktop. Then click on Background, Wallpaper. Click multiple wallpaper, then setup multiple. From here you can select the wallpaper you want, and how often to change it. I change mine every hour.

Now, to figure out screensavers and KDE Themes! Mine are kind of lame.