[ale] RH + Updates

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Aug 25 11:55:11 EDT 2003

Dow Hurst wrote:
> I think this is exactly why gentoo and debian are loved by those who use
> them.  Mostly that kind of ease allows you to stay up to date with new
> software changes.  If you want the same software that came on your
> current rpm based distro, but with constantly updated security patches,
> then the regular distros are really good to use.  Maybe if Geoffrey has
> time he could explain how he uses Yast2 to upgrade software.  It does
> dependency checking and if a external server is designated then it can
> resolve dependencies using remote package checking.

This is correct.  I've used YAST2 in three different upgrade scenarios:

1. security patch an existing install.
2. upgrade patch because of bugs found in a current install.
3. upgrade software on SuSE 8.1 to 8.2.

1-2 are pretty much the same thing.  You open up yast, select online
update.  Leave the Installation source as the default, select manually
select patches. Select next.

You will then be provided a list of all the patches available.  Security
patches are in read, bug patches in black.  Be default the boxes for
software you have installed on your machine are checked.  Patches for
software that's not installed on your machine are not checked, but they
show up in the list.  If you like what they've chosen, simply select
accept and all the stuff will be patched.

For installing 8.2 on an 8.1 system, I pulled up yast, selected to
change the source of the installation, pointed it to my SuSE 8.2 dvd.
Then went to install/remove software.  I selected the item I wanted
upgraded and I received a list of a bunch of other stuff that needed
upgrading in order to make the thing work.  I told it to go ahead, and
it did it's thing,  The software I wanted upgraded was upgraded and I
was cooking.

Bear in mind, I've only done the upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2 on two
packages, so YMMV.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...