[ale] RH + Updates

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Aug 25 08:41:02 EDT 2003

Matthew Brown wrote:
> I'm with you.  I wonder, is Debian any better?
>
> Also, I notice that the RPM package management system leaves some to be
> desired.  Either I am ignorant in it's advanced use, or it is just a
> little too cumbersome.  For example, in trying to get gDesklets to work
> -- still unsuccessfully -- I needed to upgrade Python, but that broke
> python2-gnome2-ui or somesuch.  RPM complained about the upgrade, but I
> would love to have just said, "upgrade yourself to the latest, and
> include any dependencies" -- or at least list them and allow me to grab
> them at will.

I've not played with the update facilities of RH and Mandrake in a
while, but if you want a surefire upgrade solution that is rpm based,
you can not beat SuSE YAST2.  It takes care of all the dependencies for
you.  If you want to upgrade something, it will tell you what else needs
to be installed/upgraded, ask your permission to do so, and go on about
it's business.

> I only worked with apt-get shortly working on another project, but it
> seemed REALLY easy.  Myabe a little too easy, I suppose.  All I said was
> apt-get this-1.0.3-14, and it upgraded this, that, and the other, all
> without incident.

The same would apply with YAST2, and you can run it from X or console.

> I'm not after a pm war, but would love to hear the pros and cons.
> Shoot, even emerge was easier than rpm.

Actually, we've been through this recently. :)  You might check the
archives for the past discussions.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...