[ale] Comcast not in the real world!

Alexander Barton abarton at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 24 23:40:41 EDT 2003

Randal Jarrett wrote:
> I hace been experencing problems with my Comcast cable connection since
> a bad storm last week. My gateway keeps going away.  I see constant
> incoming data but cannot get out or even ping their gateway.
>
> I have put a new modem in place to make sure that thr problem wasn't on
> my end but this happens randomly a couple of times an hour.  I reset the
> modem and everything comes back.
>
> Well, I broke down and dropped an email to support. Here is what I got
> back.

My cable modem went very sopradic, then completely out.  Down for about
a week.  I thought this was due to the unannounced network changes that
were giving other customers hell at the time.  Then, three or so days
into the outage my digital TV channels went south in a similar fashion.
  I eventually called and reported a TV outage.  The repair tech found a
tiny nip in the plastic coax jacket at the pole about 12 inches from a
splitter (or something).  Rain water had seeped in, flowed down the coax
and flooded the innards of the splitter, and put a stop to my digital TV
and data but left my analog TV untouched.  Pesky squirrels.

I'm lucky in that:
1) the repair dude was clueful enough to look for damaged coax right off
the bat -- he'd seen this problem exactly once before, and,
2) that I was able to report the problem as a TV outage instead of a
Internet/Comupter outage.  Me jump though dumb-user hoops with Comcast's
front-line tech support as they tell me to reboot Windows and power
cycle the modem?  I'd rather install a Tesla coil in my jockstrap.

-Alexander