[ale] Help in this forum

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Aug 24 23:19:12 EDT 2003

> This list is like a corner barbershop for tech people. I personally
> enjoy the OT conversation. If this list *were* bland and mostly
> technical all the time, I would probably be much less inclined to
follow
> it as closely as I normally do.

Ditto. As a long-distance mostly-lurker who'll likely never attend an
ALE mtg, OT tends to 'humanize' the list somewhat. Civil and factual
debates are okay too (which probably eliminates religion entirely,
Drew ;), and when civility is maintained, seem to produce self-limiting
threads. I guess I'm fascinated by the breadth of general knowledge
around here in things non-computer also. But when civility goes south,
I start deleting big-time.

> IMHO, the banter just shows the list is healthy. I think mostly we all
> like each other, respect each other, and enjoy having like minded and
> well versed people to discuss things with in a forum that is more
> personal than that of slashdot. I know that's how I feel.
>
> -G

Cum-bay-ya, cum-bay-yaaaaaa... ahem. sorry. :) Yeah, somehow I think
I'd enjoy just shootin' the bull with some subscribers here, over a
beer.... at a campfire with a guitar... <ggg>
-fgz