[ale] Comcast not in the real world!

Randal Jarrett rsj at radio.org
Sun Aug 24 23:01:40 EDT 2003

I hace been experencing problems with my Comcast cable connection since
a bad storm last week. My gateway keeps going away.  I see constant
incoming data but cannot get out or even ping their gateway.

I have put a new modem in place to make sure that thr problem wasn't on
my end but this happens randomly a couple of times an hour.  I reset the
modem and everything comes back.

Well, I broke down and dropped an email to support. Here is what I got
back.

Randal,

Thank you for writing to Comcast.

I sincerely apologize for any problems you have experienced with the
Comcast Internet service. Please call us when the connection is down and
we will be glad to troubleshoot this with you. Please be sure that the
computer is connected directly to the cable modem (with no router/hub in
use) when contacting us, as we do not support home networks and will not
be able to troubleshoot until the computer is connected directly.

I gurss that I should do what they say.  I wonder what will happen if I
call them and they find out that I am running a linux system and not
windows ??

Has anybody had experience with them ??

Randy

--