[ale] Help in this forum

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Sun Aug 24 17:10:19 EDT 2003

Unless this is to be a bland, answers only tech forum, I can't imagine
that its possible to separate Linux/open software discussion from
politics at this stage in the game. Like it or not, the software
industry is heavily tied to current political issues.

It's still entirely possible to get support here. Ask a detailed
question with relevant information provided and someone (if not several
people) will answer. I've noticed that if no one answers in 24 hours,
either the question was a: too vague, b: was littered with irrelevant
information or showed the poster had obviously not researched the issue
enough on their own, or c: is beyond the scope of anyone who had time to
answer.

The original sendmail question that started this thread was, no offense
intended, quite vague and lengthy to read, containing little relevant
detail.

This list is like a corner barbershop for tech people. I personally
enjoy the OT conversation. If this list *were* bland and mostly
technical all the time, I would probably be much less inclined to follow
it as closely as I normally do.

And even with the OT banter, lots of questions get answered here. I've
seen people hand out some really incredible help, and dive deep into
some very technical problems that you would likely have trouble finding
help with anywhere else.

IMHO, the banter just shows the list is healthy. I think mostly we all
like each other, respect each other, and enjoy having like minded and
well versed people to discuss things with in a forum that is more
personal than that of slashdot. I know that's how I feel.

-G