[ale] New User: Sendmail and DNS server questions

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Aug 23 17:56:38 EDT 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Having said that... look in /var/log/maillog for any errors, and post them
> here or google for related info.

Good advice in general, but I don't think it would've helped here ;-)

> > My first test of the my setup of sendmail was to try to connect to the
> > server
> > from another computer on the local network here.  No joy.  I can ping but
> > get
> > no connect.  Any idea of where to start??

The problem is that out of the box Red Hat configures its MTAs (sendmail and
postfix, your choice) to reject all network connections.

Look in sendmail.mc for the line something like (sorry, I don't have
sendmail installed on any systems, being a postfix bigot, so this might be a
little different than whatever's actually there)

DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl

either comment that out if you want to listen on all network addresses on
your system:

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS...

or add additional lines binding on each address you want to bind on:

DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=10.30.20.10')dnl

later,
chris