[ale] Gentoo on UltraSparc?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 21 18:15:25 EDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, F. Grant Robertson wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with Gentoo (or any other distro) on a Sun
> UltraSparc? Any suggestions on other distributions? Any good advice on
> the install process an how it differs from an x86 machine? I'm not
> entirely new to Sun hardware but, I'm no expert by any stretch.

Aurora Linux. Works great, uses RPM like God intended ;-)

If you're not familiar with it, Aurora <http://www.auroralinux.org/> is an
unofficial port of Red Hat to the Sparc / Ultrasparc done primarily by a
group of RH developers. It tends to have the best support of any of the free
Unixes for Ultrasparc....

You'll want to do a network install, which will work like setting up a
Solaris network boot server (tftpd + rarpd). You can install off of CD, but
if you do you'll probably have to use a non-Sun CD -- the Sun CD drives
don't like to boot off of home-burned CDs in most cases.

later,
chris