[ale] Debian install - sanity check (Turned into SuSE via FTP)

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 15 10:29:15 EDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 01:10, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > The SuSE FTP install went pretty well.
>
> . . . and it's like that! and that's the way it is! huh!
> 				- Run DMC
>
> > (you have to do this BEFORE starting the install!) YaST will ask for a
> > directory - the directory (on GaTech) is /pub/suse/suse/i386/8.2
>
> That was the major hurdle for me. Took me a day to figure out that "specify
> directory" meant "leave of the preceeding server info." As far as the
> network modules, I am not sure if they ever load automatically. Still,
> aside from those specifics Suse is the easiest OS to install that I have
> installed.

I had a couple hurdles:
   IP address of ftp server, rather than name
   Specifying the directory correctly
   NOT giving up too soon (I thought it was hung)

I had to go to Staples to return some items (50' patch cord, PCI-based
Ethernet NIC for a way-too-old machine with ZERO PCI slots, nasty PS/2
mouse). While there I decided to look for a boxed SuSE set. None in stock, so
I decided to try doing an FTP install again.

Good directions are at:
http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/lmuelle_suselinux_internet.html

Where it specifies IP address, substitute one from a local mirror.
Where it specifies directory, /pub/suse/suse/i386/7.3 , substitute the version
for the one you want. You might also get away with using
/pub/suse/suse/i386/current - that seems to point to 8.2 on the GaTech
server.

Bruce (still contemplating Debian - have downloaded ISO's 1-5 of 3.0Stable,
just not sure at all of any skills in installing and configuring correctly.
Might be good to make a new partition and boot between SuSE, Debian and
Windows).