[ale] IBM & Centrino wifi: no support

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Wed Aug 13 16:57:16 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:20:01AM -0400 Dow Hurst <dhurst at kennesaw.edu> wrote:
> $400 for the retrofit.
>
> If I had added $200 more they would have replaced the wireless card and
> configured it.  I didn't have that money.
> Dow

I just talked with Lincoln (sp?) this morning there at Emperor;
he said he install Linux for $350, but a working wifi card would
cost an extra $200 configured.

T. Tso explains on the web how he replaced his Centrino wifi card
with a Cisco Aironet 350.  It's even covered in the maintenance
manual available from IBM's website.  I also talked with tech
support about whether replace the mini-pci wifi card would void
the warranty (you have to remove the palm rest and keyboard and
hard drive to do this), and they said no, it was user
maintenance.  So, it looks scary to do on a brand spanking new
machine, but for $200, it's worth it.  It's also worth it to
install Linux yourself, I think.  I got something like 10,400 hits
when I searched for "linux on t40".

With the likes of T. Tso putting up howto websites for the t-40,
it's gotta be good!  :-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net