[ale] Trying to make the switch to Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Aug 13 14:13:02 EDT 2003

Michael Hartman wrote:
> All, I've got an older Dell Latitude laptop that has NT 4.0 on it.
> I'm sick of the instability and memory errors.  I went out and bought
> SuSE Linux Personal 8.2 yesterday at Best Buy.  Before installing it
> I've got a couple of basic questions (This is primarily my wife's
> computer now and she's pissed her email keeps getting messed up):
> ---How do I ensure that my laptop is Pentium, thus eligible for the
> software?  I tried checking the properties tab and it just says x86
> Family ....., AT/ATCompatible ....  At first I thought this meant it
> was a 486...but upon checking my current laptop which is pentium III,
> I discovered that they said nearly the same thing.

Generally, if you go into the bios of the laptop, it will tell you the
processor speed/type, most of the time.  I don't have NT in front of me
(thankfully) but if you right click on the 'my computer' icon, you
should be a window that displays info about your machine.  I believe
there are various tabs at the top and under one of them, it will tell
you the type (pentium, pII, pIII, pIV).  Beyond that, I'm not sure how
you determine the processor speed on NT.

Attempting to boot into the SuSE 8.2 install is a sure way to find out,
as SuSE will not let you begin the install, if you don't meet the
requirements.  Further, if you watch the boot process you'll catch this
processor info scroll by.

> ---The disks have
> openoffice.org on it too...I will be able to use my older excel files
> still, right?

There is no 100% guarantee, but for the most part you should be able to.
  You'll most likely run into problems if you got complex spreadsheets
that include macros and such.

> ---Will I be able to hook my laptop into my d-link
> wireless network at home still (di-713P with dwl-650 cards?)

Can't help you off hand with the wifi stuff, but someone else on the
list likely will answer this one.

> ---Will
> I be able to still print to my HP OfficeJet 720?

http://www.linuxprinting.org says it works 'mostly.'  I wouldn't be
terribly concerned with 'mostly' as in most cases it's more then you'll
need.  Here's the link to the specifics on this printer for linux:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-OfficeJet_720

> If this isn't the right place to post this, let me know.  Linux.com
> said I should reag out to my local groups pre-installing.

You've come to the right place.  Check out the docs I've noted above as
well as http://en.tldp.org/ , the Linux Documentation Project.  Here's
the link to the laptop howto and another linux laptop site:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...