[ale] Trying to make the switch to Linux

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Aug 13 14:11:56 EDT 2003

If this isn't the right place to get answers [about Linux], we're all in trouble
:-D.  Congrats on the decision to switch, by the way.  I'll try to answer the
basic questions that you've got, but the other folks in here are much more adept
at any more difficult questions that you may have.

 - If it's a Dell, you can usually go to http://support.dell.com , plug in the
service tag number (it'll be on the bottom of the laptop, probably), and get all
of the juicy info about it (type of processor, amt of RAM, etc.).  It will only
show you the stuff that it was purchased with, though.  This will be a good
place to find the processor info (since it's unlikely to have changed)

 - I've been very impressed with Open Office.  I've used it to open not only
older MS Office documents / spreadsheets / etc., but I've also had a good bit of
luck with newer [Office XP] documents.  The only problems that I've noticed (few
and far between, mind you) have been with some of the formatting.

 - d-link wireless care, I would suspect will be supported, but you may wanna
check around with some of the guru's around here.  If it's made, somebody here
has most likely tried it

 - I would wager that you'll be able to print to the HP OfficeJet 720, I've had
very good luck printing to most HP printers, and most Lexmark printers.

I hope this helps.  If nothing else, maybe it'll spur a couple of the other
folks along ;-)

Nathan J. Underwood

--
Nathan J. Underwood