[ale] $299 Linux PC's

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Mon Aug 11 10:30:26 EDT 2003

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:53:00 -0400
ale-request at ale.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:43:36 -0400
> From: Jim Philips <jcphil at mindspring.com>
> To:  ale at ale.org
> Subject: [ale] $299 Linux PC's
>
> Saw them today at Sam's Club. They come with Linux pre-loaded, although
> the distro wasn't clear from the box. They also have front-side slots
> for reading all of the memory cards available for digital cameras. If my
> current 333mhz machine dies, I'm going to buy one.

Kewl!!

I wonder if it is running Lycoris Desktop/LX or Lindows0s 4.0 for it's Linux Distro

while I hate the concept of paying for the click 'n' run portion of lindows I do like how smoothly Lindowsos 4.0 works.
I tried it out on a pc a while back. After I had nuked all of the click n run crap and cleaned up the desktop I went to a website called http://www.openlindows.com and followed their instructions for setting up apt-get and then proceeded to load the system up with a ton of good software from the debian ftp site and from the openlindows website. it makes for a nice experience. I like the fact that LindowsOS can be installed on a system in less than 10 minutes too, easy to reload if you hose it and another plus in my opinion is that it is based on debian linux. While Redhat remains my favorite distro, Debian comes in a close second, with SUSE a close 3rd followed by Slackware for 4th place.

Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com
Assistant System Administrator
Linux User #316727
1-770-532-2239 Extension 9404