[ale] About wireless vs. wired - you all were right!

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 8 22:01:01 EDT 2003

> From: Dow Hurst <dhurst at kennesaw.edu>
> Date: 2003/08/08 Fri PM 09:33:23 EDT
> To: ale at ale.org
> Subject: Re: [ale] About wireless vs. wired - you all were right!
>
> Isn't G not supported under Linux yet?  The Dell Inspiron 8500 we have
> came with a a+g enabled card and it is unsupported.  I am pretty sure
> the chips specs aren't released yet since they are programmable.
> Dow

G works with B and G. My wife is running WindowsXP - so I used an 802.11G WAP and laptop card for her. Athenos opensourced their drivers for the 802.11G chipset - and there is an active project working on it (do a search on madwifi). I subscribed to the list to get an idea of what is happening - but that seemed too advanced for me.

I'm taking the lazy man's way out. I simply used an 802.11B (yeah, a B) wireless game adapter. My Ethernet card plugs directly into the Ethernet port on the game adapter - and I'm up and running. Haven't decided if I'll keep it, or maybe check out the WET11 bridge (802.11B again) or shell out for the 802.11G bridge. The tag on the 802.11G bridge is too high, and at the distance I have to cover - I might not get the higher speeds anyway.