[ale] About wireless vs. wired - you all were right!

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 8 21:54:32 EDT 2003

> From: "Frank Zamenski" <fzamenski at voyager.net>
> Date: 2003/08/08 Fri PM 09:23:43 EDT
> To: ale at ale.org
> Subject: Re: [ale] About wireless vs. wired - you all were right!
>

> > I priced out wireless versus wired. My wife wanted wireless for her
> laptop, so
> > I decided to take the plunge. Already have a router (Linksys
> BEFSX41). So
> > decided to get a Linksys WAP. The WAP54G. Cost 109.99 or so (might
> have been
> > 129.99). Bought a 802.11G wireless cardbus card for her laptop. Went
> for
> > 69.99.
> >
> <snip>
>
> Alright, yaw'l got me wondering. I just bought the Linksys wireless-B
> W11S4PC11 router + notebook adapter WiFi 2.4GHZ 802.11b kit for $129.99
> at BB, I wasn't going to save anything buying separate and if I did I'd
> have to mess with rebates which I hate! Didn't think I'd need the more
> $$ 802.11G since I have horrid slow cable (128up/256down) and likely
> will never have more than two puters on the 'net at any given time. But
> the router will be in the basement and I may have to tx 80-100'
> upstairs and out to the outside deck. Did I screw up? Should I swap out
> for the G? I haven't opened the B kit yet. Thanks.
> -fgz

No - you didn't screw up at all. I didn't notice any difference in signal strength between the 802.11G on my wife's laptop, and the 802.11B game adapter for my PC (call me lazy, I didn't want to even think about drivers - although MadWiFi group is working on drivers for 802.11G with the Athenos chipset).

I did notice that you can get a signal booster for the Linksys 802.11B router, so was thinking of dropping to 802.11B myself. If just to give increased distance. At longer distances signal strength drops and your speed is reduced.

You might want to hold on to the receipts while you test it. I found a dead area in the house. You might have some reception problems with your wireless router in the basement.