[ale] About wireless vs. wired - you all were right!

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Fri Aug 8 21:23:43 EDT 2003

> I priced out wireless versus wired. My wife wanted wireless for her
laptop, so
> I decided to take the plunge. Already have a router (Linksys
BEFSX41). So
> decided to get a Linksys WAP. The WAP54G. Cost 109.99 or so (might
have been
> 129.99). Bought a 802.11G wireless cardbus card for her laptop. Went
for
> 69.99.

<snip>

Alright, yaw'l got me wondering. I just bought the Linksys wireless-B
W11S4PC11 router + notebook adapter WiFi 2.4GHZ 802.11b kit for $129.99
at BB, I wasn't going to save anything buying separate and if I did I'd
have to mess with rebates which I hate! Didn't think I'd need the more
$$ 802.11G since I have horrid slow cable (128up/256down) and likely
will never have more than two puters on the 'net at any given time. But
the router will be in the basement and I may have to tx 80-100'
upstairs and out to the outside deck. Did I screw up? Should I swap out
for the G? I haven't opened the B kit yet. Thanks.
-fgz