[ale] About wireless vs. wired - you all were right!

Bruce Griffis griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 8 17:37:11 EDT 2003

I priced out wireless versus wired. My wife wanted wireless for her laptop, so
I decided to take the plunge. Already have a router (Linksys BEFSX41). So
decided to get a Linksys WAP. The WAP54G. Cost 109.99 or so (might have been
129.99). Bought a 802.11G wireless cardbus card for her laptop. Went for
69.99.

I thought about options for my dekstop. Priced out bridging. Thought about
802.11G bridge - didn't want to go 159.99 (the lowest price I saw). Also saw
the WET11 for 802.11B, and am familiar with them. Didn't want to pop for
129.99, but could have shopped it.

I then saw a Linksys 802.11B wireless game adapter. Bought it for $79 and
plugged it in. Literally zero configuration. Plugged in my Ethernet cable,
and had over 70% packet loss. Moved the game adapter to the window, and had
58% loss. Moved the adapter to the top of a bookshelf and had 54% loss.
Cleared a few stacks of books off and packet loss is down to 6%. Not bad.

Think I'll play with it for a while, then run a cable for this one PC.