[ale] Embarassing script question

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.com
Wed Aug 6 08:12:21 EDT 2003

Here's a bash scripting question I should problem already know the answer to:

I wrote a tiny script yesterday to convert a slew of photos from BMP to JPG.  The qquickest route i found was through the PPM format, so the current script looks like:

#!/bin/sh
bmptoppm $1 | ppmtojpeg > $1.jpg

Now the annoyances are as follows:
1.    The filename ends up something like Pic001.bmp.jpg.
2.    I can't find a way to handle odd filenames, like "PC Beach001.bmp" and "LasVegas&JumpRope001.bmp".

Any takers?

BTW, I don't have any idea how they got such odd names.

--
Best regards,

Matthew Brown
CorData, Inc.