[ale] Red Hat sues SCO

John Marasco john at marasco.net
Tue Aug 5 15:22:09 EDT 2003

Transam wrote:

>This URL is of Red Hat's filed lawsuit against SCO for fraud, unfair
>business practices, etc. and asserts that SCO has knowingly falsely
>claimed that Linux contains trade secrets (proprietary Unix code
>owned by SCO).
>
>Red Hat is asking for a jury trial and treble damages.  I read the
>suit and it has satisfied me that SCO has absolutely no claim and
>that nobody should be concerned about using Linux code.  Further,
>that Red Hat will pursue this and obtain a court decision that will
>forever put this question to rest.
>
>     http://lwn.net/images/ns/rh-complaint.pdf
>

>Best regards,
>
>Bob Toxen, CTO
>Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
>"Your expert in Firewalls, Virus and Spam Filters, VPNs,
>Network Monitoring, and Network Security consulting"
>bob at verysecurelinux.com (e-mail)
>+1 770-662-8321  (Office)
>
>The talks I gave on Linux security this year include:
>  at IBM's Linux Competency Center in New York City on March  6
>  at the Atlanta SecureWorld Expo in Atlanta        on May   22
>  at the Enterprise Linux Forum in Silicon Valley   on June  04
>
>Author,
>"Real World Linux Security: Intrusion Detection, Prevention, and Recovery"
>2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, (C) 2003, 848 pages, ISBN: 0130464562
>
>Author,
>"Real World Linux Security: Intrusion Detection, Prevention, and Recovery"
>Prentice Hall, (C) 2001, 700 pages
>
>http://www.verysecurelinux.com       [Network & Linux/Unix Security Consulting]
>http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My 5* book: "Real World Linux Security"]
>http://www.verysecurelinux.com/sunset.html                    [Sunset Computer]
>Quality Linux, UNIX and network security and software consulting since 1990.
>
>Public key available at http://www.verysecurelinux.com/pubkey.txt, keyservers,
>  and on the CD-ROM that comes sealed and attached to Real World Linux Security
>pub  1024D/E3A1C540 2000-06-21 Bob Toxen <book at realworldlinuxsecurity.com>
>     Key fingerprint = 30BA AA0A 31DD B68B 47C9  601E 96D3 533D E3A1 C540
>sub  2048g/03FFCCB9 2000-06-21

....some thoughts....

The best way to make companies pay for blatent valuation manipulation is
to short their stock...pass the word...

If the Red Hat claim has merit then Red Hat would have done better
shorting $1,000,000 in SCO stock to cover their damages.  The lawsuit
will reap little as SCO is basically broke...

This is a good time to make some money yourself if you feel so certain
that SCO is manipulating their stock...

If you don't have the money to open a brokerage account then get
together a group of friends and do so...if you can't trust people in the
open source community then who can you trust?

Any "profits" can always be donated back to the OSF...if you are just
too liberal to stomach the idea of capital gains.  After all, you are
only taking money from people betting against Linux, right?

In any case, to kick things off I'm in at 12.61.  Wish me luck...