[ale] Requiring SAK before logon

Stephen Touset stephen at touset.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 1 16:26:51 EDT 2003

I've been tinkering around with the idea of requiring the Alt+SysRq+K
keypress before logon on a few Linux boxen I administer. I'm, for the
most part, the only user of the system, but I figure it's probably a
decent habit to be in anyways. I've got the /etc/issue reminding me (and
other users) to do this, but I'm wondering if it'd be possible to
require it. It wouldn't be too hard to code something that simply locks
the screen upon logout (rather than firing up login on the tty), but how
Linux handles the process, I don't know if it will be possible for the
SAK to bring up the normal logon afterwards. AFAIK, the SAK launches the
same program init uses in /etc/inittab for putting the login shell up on
the tty. Is there a way to cause init to launch a "dummy" login shell,
but the SAK to launch the real one?

Stephen Touset