[ale] Q: how to mount CF card in SanDisk USB reader

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 30 13:18:40 EDT 2003

ALErs -

Still flailing with this, I'm afraid.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 April 2003 02:31 pm, John Mills wrote:

> > I have a generic RH-7.3 box with 2 USB ports. A SanDisk CF reader is
> > plugged into one. A formatted, partly filled CF from my camera is
> > plugged into the reader. I am trying to mount the CF and find its
> > contents, but don't succeed.

> What I did to figure things out is "tail -f /var/log/messages" (as root),
> then plug the sandisk drive into my usb port.  Then plug a CF card into
> the slot.  You get a bunch of semi-cryptic messages that should give you
> some clues as to where the devices got created.  It should show up as a
> scsi disk.

When I do this, I see the SanDisk 'CFII' appear, but no more activity when
I plug the CF itself. As a matter of superstition, I added
 'insmod usb-storage' to rc.local, but this doesn't seem to help. Looking
at '/proc/scsi/*' I see files and directories corresponding to the
ide-scsi driver for my CD-RW and to the Symbios adapter for my scanners,
but nothing for the USB.

Do I need to provide a driver? Perhaps 'usb-scsi' (which does not seem to
exist in my build)?

TIA.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu