[ale] "Cost" of raid?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Thu Sep 26 23:40:55 EDT 2002

Just from what you're saying and presuming that you're going to do
kernel RAID, You might want to lay off the RAID 5 if you're very
write-dependent.  The kernel has to generate parity for writes, and if
your machien is busy "doing some calculations" then you might feel some
pain from that.

If you can bring more drives to bear, however, you can split up your
disk duties and set up some RAID 0+1 AND some RAID 5.

- Jeff