[ale] "Cost" of raid?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu Sep 26 15:58:56 EDT 2002

  I'm effectively "pricing" raid for a system on our network.  Currently
they have 4x18Gig disks, Raid 0 giving them 72Gigs available.  I've done
a breakdown of how much disk is available, what will be the effects on
space and redundance.

  One question hit me I'm not sure how to answer though.  How much
slower is Raid 5 than a Raid 0+1?  Will it be noticable?  This system is
very IO intensive with an average load around 0.8.

  The box is a dual-P3-850 with 4x18Gig SCSI Cheetas.

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
FYI: