[ale] Parsing XML into MySQL ( was C_not ( or C_hashmark ( or C_pounded (or C something or other) ) )

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Sep 26 00:13:40 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 20:49, you wrote:
> I concur. I don't see any evidence of Java being slow or limited (on
> Linux or in general). I have used Java + Tomcat 4.x to interface w/
> MySQL and Oracle databases and parse large XML feeds and have been very
> impressed.

Sorry for the sideline strand off this C_not thread, but I was going to
post this query anyway when Mike mentioned Java parsing of XML for MySQL:

The background is that one of the regular exercises and assignments in a
peer instruction Java class I joined is to create practice test questions
for classmates from the chapter and section material being covered.

The group leaders will enter these questions in an existing MySQL
database so that that future classes can generate practice tests from
them. Naturally, it would be very helpful if the entry data process could
be automated. The procedure being suggested is to have students submit
questions in XML formatted text files (after formulating an appropriate
schema, of course)  and then parse the XML documents into the MySQL
database.

A reasonable approach and a few of the group leaders have MySQL
experience, but we are not all that strong on XML (part of the reason for
the choice, actually... learn while you burn) and none of us have direct
experience with parsing XML into MySQL.

I was thinking some of the folk here might be able to provide a few
pointers, ideas, references or links to existing Open Source solutions
for approaching this plan. As always, any assistance will be appreciated!

peace
aaron