[ale] USB -> serial cables and such

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at dvsg.sciatl.com
Wed Sep 25 16:59:54 EDT 2002

Hello all,

After realizing that multi-serial port boards are pricey, and that RH 7.2 has
USB support in it, I'm looking to convert several of my serial port connections
to USB via a USB->serial cable and USB hub.  However, I'm very unschooled in USB
technology, so I have a few questions.

The devices I hope to connect are
a) modem, used for caller ID purposes
b) digital camera for image download (alternately, a SMartCard reader for same)
c) Palm upload link
d) keyboard & mouse

1) if I use a USB keyboard, what effect, if any, does this have on the KB and
mouse in the normal ports?

2) the camera and Palm hookups do not need to be connected all the time - would
it be easier to just connect them up when needed, and so I can use one
USB:serial cable to swap bewteen them?
2a) the modem may stay on the one serial port I do have, unless there is a good
reason to change it - is there one?

3) any suggestions for USB_serial cable brands/vendors, and ditto for USB hubs?

4) any gotchas I should look out for?

as usual, Thanks in advance,

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.