[ale] mySQL

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 22 21:50:48 EDT 2002

On Friday 20 September 2002 11:46 am, John C wrote:
> You should ALWAYS use the binaries from mysql.com.  Do not use redhat RPMS
> and do not compile it yourself.  This is per Brian Aker - Slashdot.org DBA.
> He stressed this about 3 or 4 times during his talk at Linuxworld Expo.

I would be curious to know his reasons for recommending that. I can understand
the reasons for not using the RPM's. But I have always had better luck with
MySQL on my machine when I built it myself. I know that MySQL.com recommends
using the binaries, but that's just because they get tired of answering
questions about build problems. But since when is a binary built on another
machine better than one built on yours?