[ale] NFS mounting NTFS

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sun Sep 22 21:07:41 EDT 2002

David Corbin wrote:
> # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
> exported
> #               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
> /mnt mercury.csol.com(ro)
>
> then, from mercury.csol.com
> $ mount {ip_address}:/mnt /mnt/tmp
>

>> I inquired about this some time ago, but received no response, so I
>> figured I'd ask again.
>>
>> I have dual-boot (Win2K/Linux) system A, booted and running Linux.  I
>> successfully mount two NTFS partitions and can access them.  Now, I want
>>
>> those partitions accessible remotely via NFS, but when I go to machine B
>>
>> and mount the "mount-point" for the NTFS systems, it mounts
>> "successfully", but they're empty.
>>
>> Any ideas?

   It sounds like a permissions problem, maybe in NFS, or maybe on machine A's file system.

If you are logged in as root on machine B (assumed yes, since you are mounting a fs), try adding 'no_root_squash' to your /etc/exports on machine A (and restart/reload the nfs server)

On machine A, is you log in as a regular user, can that user see any/all the files on the NTFS partitions?  I think you may also see this behavior if "other" permissions are missing (r)ead and e(x)ecute on the directories.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith