[ale] rh 7.3 on amd, more info

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Sep 16 18:50:45 EDT 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> You won't be ale to use TRB on RH7.3 unless you compile a custom TRB
> kernel that supports ext3.

Actually, I changed the fs to ext2 during the install, so I don't
understand why trb won't mount them.

> This is why partition magic is a weird
> program to use. It reorders partitions as it sees fit to prevent other
> partitioning apps from competing.

Sucks.

> Win98 has a really #$^& way of "partioning" itself onto a drive. It will
> mark the last sector of the last cylinder as unmovable. This blocks
> resizing the partition. Partition magic gets around this by some horrid
> process that involves reordering the partitions and moving the win98
> chunk while reworking the MBR to hide all this.

Yeah, that's what it appears happened.  PM pushed the win98 stuff to the
back and left the open space on the front of the disk, leaving win98
still on /dev/hda1.

> The best way I have made W98 play well is to kill it (it was a nice
> feeling, really :) fdisk the drive with DOS to make a partition for W98,
> reinstall W98 (yuck!) and then do the Linux install. I did this
> successfully once with a partition magic'ed drive but ran into problems
> later with lilo (pre-grub days).

I was afraid of that.  I might try and dd the win98 stuff to another
machine from trb.  I still don't understand why I can't mount the ext2
linux file systems though.  I don't know what 'options' trb was
referring to.   I might look at the rescue options of the RH install,
although that didn't appear to be a working solution when I 'glanced' at
them before.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net