[ale] [OT] Gimme a D, gimme an O, gimme an H, gimme a !

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Sep 14 08:40:11 EDT 2002

Rubbing alcohol was a very bad idea. It will likely destroy the membrane
on the keypad. Every laptop I've disassembled has a detachable (in some
manner) keyboard. You need to get the key board removed from the rest of
the laptop and flush it out with warm water. The final rinse of water
should be with distilled water. That way when it dries there will be no
mineral deposit residue.

Drying time will be very, very, very long. The ideal drying condition
would be to put it in a sealable box and pull a slight vacuum on the
system for several hours. This will evaporate the water with out heat.
The next recommendation is to go buy several boxes of ordinary chalk,
put them on a pan and bake them at 250F for an hour to drive off any
moisture. Take the cooled chalk and the keyboard and seal them up in a
large plastic bag for several days. You might want to change the chalk
after each day. If you have access to laboratory dessicant, that would
be even better.

Start calling the repair shops and look for a replacement keyboard. The
alcohol has likely made the lifespan on the membrane very short.

Bummer.

I spilled a very large mug of coffee, with sugar and milk, into a
keyboard once. That was a bad day, too.