[ale] a new linux solution for multiple problems

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 5 10:44:28 EDT 2002

Yeah, telnet is not a usual install here either. But in this case, I
think it is justified. Streaming video over an encrypted connection is
pretty heavyweight cpu stuff.

You could just take a snapshot every 2 seconds, pump that to a tiny web
server with a "push" page and keep a browser screen open.

But telnet would be the easiest.

I've been contemplating doing a similar arrangement but sound activated.
Someone in my neighborhood needs to both turn down the volume and get a
muffler.  I am thinking 2 cameras at either corner of my lot pointed so
their field of view overlaps should get the from and back (i.e. tag) of
the offender to my sleep. I'll need low-light-level cameras since it
usually happens between 1-2am. Grr.