[ale] k7s5a motherboard

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Oct 22 21:11:35 EDT 2002

Heat is bad, M'kay?

Seriously, For most applications, the old white goop is just fine.
Thermal conductivity in that stuff is quite adequate for normal CPU
cooling.

Overclockers (people who LIKE buying new CPU's to trash), swear by the
Arctic Silver.

If your cpu usage is more towards the normal side of reality, don't
waste the $$ on AS. If your system could really use a bigger fan, get a
bigger fan. If you have the urge to see how fast you can push your
system above it's rated speeds, get the AS and a bigger fan!

I would suggest using AS if you do lots of CPU intensive stuff for
extended periods of time. It will increase the odds that the heat will
be removed as quickly as possible.

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 20:25, John Wells wrote:
> Ok, ok.  I'm sold.
>
> But is it worth it?  I'm running with the old standard white thermal paste
> currently.  Any estimation of drops I could expect?

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part